Green beans in a tomato sauce (Fagiolini al pomodoro)
Write a review
- 500g /1 lb fresh green beans, topped and tailed
- 20 large, ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or a small can of good tomatoes)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- vegetable stock
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half.
- Chop the carrots and the onion very finely and put in a heavy-based frying pan in the cold oil.
- Put the pan over the heat and when the garlic and onion start to sizzle, add the tomatoes.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and add the green beans. Season with salt and cover.
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- If the beans are getting too dry add some vegetable stock.
- At the very end add the basil leaves, torn into pieces.